Friday 1 March 2013

Claire Wills




Art Sunday; Claire Wills,
Contemporary Scottish artist.
Most of her paintings plus more information about her can be found on her website, its well worth a visit.
http://www.clairewills.co.uk/index.html

Personally I’m very taken with her choice of colours, these paintnings remind me of the song ‘Lucy in the sky with diamonds’, within these paintings you find the ‘tangerine trees and marmalade skies’, and the ‘Cellophane flowers of yellow and green’. 
I think this lady must be the original ‘girl with the kaleidoscope eyes’.  It never ceases to amaze me how so many fine Scottish Artists manage to reproduce the landscape in these vibrant colours. To the untrained eye, Scotland and its landscapes can appear dull, gray and permanently overcast. This lady sees and reproduces the hidden colours of Scotland.

About Claire Wills
Claire graduated from the University of Humberside in 1996 with a degree in Fine Art after which she travelled extensively, gaining inspiration from a wide variety of different cultures and locations such as Tanzania, Budapest, Germany, Jamaica, Ireland, the Channel Islands, and also Cornwall and rural Herefordshire.


In her paintings Claire aims to create engaging contemporary interpretations of land and seascapes through abstract ideas of places or scenes, and she particularly enjoys making paintings of wide-open spaces, which give a feeling of calm isolation where ‘one can become lost in thought’.


Claire uses mixed media; layers of delicate papers are often used to create a surface with a variety of patterns and textures as a base on which to work.


Most recently Claire has been focusing on landscapes and seascapes, often inspired by the many pretty towns and villages of Scotland.



3 comments:

  1. Another artist I am unfamiliar with, but whose work I really enjoyed seeing here!! I, too, really like her use of strong, bright colours. I particularly like the second one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her use of colours, glad you enjoyed it Mitch

      Delete
  2. I like the second one with the poppies. I find the others a bit simplistic.

    ReplyDelete