Tuesday 28 August 2012

Art, Anders Zorn



Anders Zorn











Anders Leonard Zorn, Born 18 February 1860 in Mora, Sweden and Died 22 August 1920, aged 60, in Stockholm, Sweden.
He trained at the Royal Swedish Academy of Arts, Stockholm
 

He was born in Yvraden, a small Swedish hamlet and was raised there on his grandparents' farm.
From 1875–1880 Zorn studied at Royal Swedish Academy of Arts in Stockholm, Sweden. He traveled to London, Paris, the Balkans, Spain, Italy and the United States, and became an internationally successful painter. His early works tended to be luminous watercolors but by about 1887 he preferred to work with oils.

Zorn painted portraits, scenes depicting rural life and traditional customs. Zorn is also famous for his nude paintings and realistic depictions of water.
 


It was his skill as a portrait painter that won Zorn his international success. His subjects even included three American Presidents and Swedish royalty.
Many of his paintings were painted in the summer and show nymph like nudes either submerged in water or tentatively putting one toe in water before actually taking the plunge. These paintings showcase both his figure drawing skills and his lifelike representation of water. These are not the paintings I’ve shown here, I chose his work because I like the way some of his paintings seem to convey a real chill in the air. To me these paintings capture the time when the temperatures drop and thoughts turn to winter…………..exactly how I feel today.
Maybe its his Scandinavian origins that allow him to paint what look like decidedly cold scenes.

 
   

forgetmenot525 wrote on Oct 23, '11
nemo4sun said
it inpired my art sunday post

:)
I'm still trying to get there..............but I can see why, his nudes, especially those half submerged in lakes are fantastic.
nemo4sun wrote on Oct 23, '11
it inpired my art sunday post

:)
forgetmenot525 wrote on Oct 23, '11
Thank you peoples...........:-)
glad you liked this work, he seemed very appropriate for this time...........
pestep55 wrote on Oct 23, '11
Not familiar with this artist (until now /:-) A richness to the cool simplicity
agnes128 wrote on Oct 23, '11
Beautiful. Many cool shades lotta greys and whites, that depicts cooler weather efficiently. I just love that woman knitting and feel like a stroll in the nearby park now I've seen the painting with the lady walking amongst the fir trees.
crystalinne wrote on Oct 23, '11
Thank you for introducing us to some of the works of this accomplished artist. I too like the knitting woman, but I am also drawn to the 2 girls on the dock, and am quite impressed with the man within the snow-covered trees (self-portrait?) It is very realistic almost to the point of looking like a photograph.
nemo4sun wrote on Oct 23, '11
he is great

you are right ~ he does capture the chill in the air

his work is very natural and alive

i think the coat is very cool

:)
forgetmenot525 wrote on Oct 22, '11
mitchylr said
He does convey winter scenes well, but having lived in Sweden I do know that not only are their winters colder than ours, but their summers are actually warmer than ours on average
Lucky you, I didn't know you lived in Sweden, bet it was lovely. Glad you looked up his other paintings, quite something aren't they??
mitchylr wrote on Oct 22, '11
Another artist I've not come across before. He does convey winter scenes well, but having lived in Sweden I do know that not only are their winters colder than ours, but their summers are actually warmer than ours on average, so I was interested to see how he conveyed summer. I've Googled his images, and can see he paints warm summer scenes equally well.
artprevails wrote on Oct 21, '11
Wow...beautiful water! And photolike portraiture!
catherinearmant wrote on Oct 21, '11
What an outstanding talent.

I particularly like the Old Lady with the White Robe.

Thank you dear Loretta. Take care.
forgetmenot525 wrote on Oct 21, '11, edited on Oct 21, '11
I would also think that the coats back then weren't made of the materials we have today so animal skin was likely the best option.
I think things were very different then, people didn't think about animal conservation they just used what nature provided. Things are different now...........so you are right, we forgive him because back then there was nothing wrong with what he was doing
veryfrank wrote on Oct 21, '11
I really like his artistic style, but can do quite well without the snow. :-}
esoterika713 wrote on Oct 21, '11
I am not sure I approve of the Wolf skin. But, Sweden is pretty cold. I would also think that the coats back then weren't made of the materials we have today so animal skin was likely the best option.
So, perhaps, I can let him off the hook this time.
lol.
Photobucket
greenwytch wrote on Oct 21, '11
i love the woman in the trees and the knitting woman. the knitting woman looks tired or sad.....maybe both.
brendainmad wrote on Oct 21, '11
Good choice. I'm sure I've seen some of the paintings before. Is this the first time you've posted about him?
esoterika713 wrote on Oct 21, '11
His art does seem to be on the chilly side.
Thanks for sharing. I'd never heard of him.
")
rabbitfriendhere wrote on Oct 21, '11
Wow!!! I love the woman knitting! Beautiful art!!
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment