Tuesday 28 August 2012

Art, Niko Pirosmani







 

Niko Pirosmani
(Nikolai Aslanovich Pirosmanashvili)
(1862- 1918)


A couple of weeks ago Kathy posted a picture of a cow that I really liked. I decided to see if I could find other stuff by the same artist, and I did, and here it is. So this post is all thanks to Kathy and her cow really………thanks Kath 








 Pirosmani (1862? - 1918) was a Georgian Primitivist painter of the turn of the 20th Century. Without any formal education in art or, in fact, much of an education in anything, he made up for this with innate talent and the fecundity of his brush. Over the course of his brief life (he died at the age of 56), much of which passed in poverty and vagrancy, and working with only the cheapest materials, Pirosmani produced an immense number of paintings, a large chunk of which are lost. The artist's work came to public attention only towards the end of his life, almost by accident, and he had only a handful of exhibitions.
I've posted more of his paintings here
http://forgetmenot525.multiply.com/photos/album/288/More_paintings_of_Niko_Pirosmani












   


starfishred wrote on Feb 6, '11
inteesting style he has

forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 6, '11
nemo4sun said
lol

love the dancing cow

:)
yeah me too..............jem of a find that was, be a long time before something as entertaining as that comes along.

nemo4sun wrote on Feb 6, '11
lol

love the dancing cow

:)

forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 6, '11
nemo4sun said
greenwytch posted the same cow on her cow post
you are right, I remember now that was the post I put the video of the dancing cows on...........for some reason I thought I had seen it on Kathys post, but you are right, it was Greenwytch :-( opps

veryfrank wrote on Feb 6, '11
I must agree with Mitchy.

I have never been able to decide one way or the other about the primitive style.

kathyinozarks wrote on Feb 6, '11
I like these-thanks

nemo4sun wrote on Feb 6, '11
greenwytch posted the same cow on her cow post

he gets around

really cool paintings

:)

acousticeagle wrote on Feb 5, '11
The primitive artists certaintly have something that is different. The style is like iconic, two dimensional, flat, yet there is something of a strange and effectual quality. This artist appears to have favoured umber hues, making them dark pictures, but not depressing as such.

forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 5, '11
mitchylr said
He certainly has his own style, I'm not too sure if I like it or not.
I know exactly what you mean, I'm not sure if i 'like' his work a lot, but I do admire it. I always admire these artists who have had no training at all because what they produce is 100% from them. Once you start taking lessons you learn a lot, but maybe you lose things too. This guy not only painted with no education, he used cheap paints that were never intended for painting pictures with.

bennett1 wrote on Feb 5, '11
I love the black boar!! I think I will look at his other pictures.

mitchylr wrote on Feb 5, '11
He certainly has his own style, I'm not too sure if I like it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment