Tuesday 28 August 2012

Art, Fabric Art










 

I’m away for the weekend but before I go here is a something that I’ve been thinking about these last few of days. We can thank Kathy and her inspirational ‘Bear & Pear’ for this post. In my conversations with her I began thinking about all the different types of ‘fabric art’ there are out there. Once you start looking its incredible how many artists are producing some type of art using fabrics, threads and beads. This is an art form I don’t think about very often, but thanks to Kathy. I’ve found myself thinking about it today.

These ( and the fabric figures above) are just a couple of the works found on this  site profiling many different artists who work with fabrics.



http://www.textilearts.net/directory/people_and_places/artists


And this is a selection of work by Jenni Cadman from her flickr site, showing her amazing collection of fabric art.




FROM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jencad/

I couldn’t resist a few photos of vintage sewing machines, I love these old machines. I can’t remember a time in my life when I didn’t own a sewing machine and many of them have been quite similar to these.
Even now I prefer my old treadle machine to the new all singing all dancing machines.
And talking of ‘all singing, all dancing’….. some music to finish up with.
Opening scene from a 40s musical starring Betty Hutton.

Hutton's most notable film role was the part of Annie Oakley in the 1950 musical of "Annie Get Your Gun." One of her best known songs, "Blow a Fuse" (later renamed "It's Oh So Quiet"), was covered by Icelandic artist, Bjork (Björk)


   

greenwytch wrote on Aug 21, '11
oh yeah.....fer sher. totally groovy, babe. hehe
forgetmenot525 wrote on Aug 21, '11
and LOL........Bongwater!
lol... ha ha ha ... as I posted this I thought of you, kinda thought you would enjoy it :-)
greenwytch wrote on Aug 21, '11
perfect as always, Loretta. i am fascinated by the fabric sculptures at the top. and LOL........Bongwater!
forgetmenot525 wrote on Aug 21, '11
Agnes I still have a treadle machine exactly the same as this one, I love it.
agnes128 wrote on Aug 21, '11
LOL at the Singer sewing machine, they are so pretty and still useful. I worked once on one like that:
http://images02.olx.fr/ui/4/18/33/63751533_3-machine-a-coudre-a-pedale-singer-annee-1894-Art-Antiquites-Monnaies-Collections.jpg
Very funny, you have to catch the rythm to sew and pedal at the same time ;-D

Some of their fabrics are really works of art.
nemo4sun wrote on Aug 21, '11
cool stuff

my mom had an old sewing machine like that

:)
pestep55 wrote on Aug 20, '11
Wonderful /:-)
mitchylr wrote on Aug 20, '11
Jenni Cadman's work is very good.
forelithe wrote on Aug 19, '11
Great post ! i loved all videos but Fanny in particular. My mom used to make quilts she's 92 and just finished her last one a couple of years ago for my grandson, a beautiful and emotion filled art form.
artprevails wrote on Aug 19, '11
I paint on silk...you can see some pics on my site, Loretta.

http://artprevails.multiply.com/photos/album/14/Painted_Silk_by_Melody
brendainmad wrote on Aug 19, '11
Love the fabric pieces but love those old sewing machines more.
kathyinozarks wrote on Aug 19, '11
what a wonderful post Loretta, I loved everything-that is a fabulous collection of fiber artsts at that site-you chose some good ones-enjoy your weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment