Tuesday 28 August 2012

Art, David Smith






I just love this guys work, sometimes you find work that you admire but wouln't want on the living room wall. This work I love, I admire it and would have my living room filled with it, and the bedroom, and the hallway.............and every other available space. It is so very, very realistically Scottish.
Paintings and information from this web site;
David SMITH
David Smith was born in Dunbartonshire in 1957. He was educated at various colleges in Glasgow including Glasgow School of Art and the Glasgow Print Studio.
David Smith is constantly inspired by the Scottish coastal scenes and the fishing villages of the East Coast of Scotland. Other subjects which regularly feature in his art works are the Scottish islands and mountains.
The palette and inspiration of David Smith's contemporary paintings are taken from the Scottish Western seaboard and the landscapes of Scotland.
This combined with David's love of climbing and hill-walking is reflected in his paintings. His distinctive art style generates a feeling of a particular time and place and the associated atmosphere at the time
David Smith has been the recipient of a number of art awards including the prestigious David Cargill prize at the 2001 RGI art exhibition. He is a member and current President of the Glasgow Group of Artists
   

forgetmenot525 wrote on Jul 27, '10
Ive just been told the link doesn't work any more, try this one

http://www.scottishartpaintings.co.uk/artist-david-smith.asp
fransformation wrote on Jul 25, '10, edited on Jul 25, '10
I very much enjoy seeing the work of living artists. Thank you for the introduction to David Smith's art. It's whimsical, colorful and refreshing!

http://fransformation.multiply.com/journal/item/509
vickiecollins wrote on Jul 25, '10
Not really my type art....but I can surely appreciate your enjoyment of it.

http://vickiecollins.multiply.com/journal/item/1138/Sunday_Art
veryfrank wrote on Jul 24, '10
I like some of these quite a lot. I have a large room that is mostly nautical, because of my love of the ocean and the beach. They would be a fine addition to that room. Thank you.
forgetmenot525 wrote on Jul 24, '10
thanks ladies, I guess the reason I'm so taken with it is because it is unmistakably Scottish, not only that but it concentrates on the parts of Scotland so familiar to me, the fishing boats and harbours. Maybe its the familiarity I find so appealing, also the way he conveys the essence of what it is like to be here.
bennett1 wrote on Jul 24, '10
I find his work interesting, but not compelling. Still, I am grateful to you for introducing him to me.
brendainmad wrote on Jul 24, '10
Even though I'm not from Scotland, I'd have these paintings hanging everywhere too! Of all the artists you've introduced, David Smith is going to be my favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment