Tuesday 28 August 2012

Art, Mitzie Green








 

TOWNSCAPES BY MITZIE GREEN
I spent today in Dundee having lunch with an old friend; It rained. It’s been raining for the last three days. We sat in the café and looked out at the wet streets. I noticed the reflections of people in the growing puddles  and the way the rain made the colours look so much brighter. I think most people know I’m a country lover, but today the town looked pretty good. Which is why I decided to look for townscape paintings, and this is what I found. I love the way this woman uses colour, it reminds me of the wet streets.

These are just a few of the works found on her website, other categories include, flowers, abstracts and landscapes.


ALL INFORMATION AND IMAGES
FROM HER OWN WEBSITE

THIS IS WHAT SHE WRITES ABOUT HERSELF


''I have a strong bias towards tactile effects and a sensuous expression where visual dynamics and structure are being explored. Some of my watercolours are painted with a surfeit of water. At other times I prepare my paper in an unusual way using a “half ground” which makes a unique surface to work on. It is highly textured, absorbent and unpredictable and it enables me to follow my feelings and paint from memory rather than dictating what I am going to paint. The results are some very subtle passages of rock face, shapes and geological forms. This instinctive approach gives my work a feeling of a visual experience.
For my acrylic work I prepare a background from different types of paper to give me a messy surface to work against. From this mess I establish order and meaning. My subject matter is architecture, buildings, townscapes and flowers using vibrant colours.
In this I am influenced by the Fauves and Expressionists like Kandinsky and Nolde
Recently I have concentrated on townscapes. The jigsaw pattern of a town has always fascinated me. I am a neat and tidy person and rather than fighting this, I felt I might as well make use of it and therefore began to look at towns and architecture with renewed interest. I pay particular attention to the horizon line of buildings with their strong verticals, horizontals, diagonals and trapeze shapes.

Figures bring a scene to life and add an exciting element to the composition. I draw them with pieces of card and this gives them a spontaneous and playful appearance. They add a sense of a fleeting moment which contrasts with the permanence of the buildings.''


   


acousticeagle wrote on May 9, '11
I noticed the reflections of people in the growing puddles and the way the rain made the colours look so much brighter.
I've also had opportunity to look at a cityscape and see images warped by rain and grey light. In grey light, things like coloured umbrellas and red clothing do look brighter.

This one's yet artist with a fabulous creative use of colour; very inspiring.

nemo4sun wrote on May 8, '11
loved the color

isn't it interesting how art gets us to notice things

:)

kathyinozarks wrote on May 8, '11
I loved these paintings-thanks

brendainmad wrote on May 8, '11
I remember you asking me once about a picture of people walking in the rain in which the colours were reflected by street lights and shadows. I think it was painted by a young Russian woman, but can't remember her name or where I found the picture. Some of these paintings reminds me of that. I love these.

starfishred wrote on May 8, '11
THESE ARE WONDERFUL LORETTA :)

veryfrank wrote on May 7, '11
I pay particular attention to the horizon line of buildings with their strong verticals, horizontals, diagonals and trapeze shapes.
I expect that this is what immediately draws me to her work. It reminds me somewhat of Bernard Buffet in style. I do like her use of color as well.

bichitos wrote on May 7, '11
I like all styles and techniques, but a strong preference for bodies and faces.

bennett1 wrote on May 7, '11
Interesting pictures. Her style does not appeal to me, but thanks to her commentary, I appreciate it.

bichitos wrote on May 7, '11
Woooo wonderfu paintings thanks to share. Kisses

No comments:

Post a Comment