Monday 27 August 2012

Art, the unknown painting



I spent friday with a team of 11 /12 year olds at the University of Dundee as they presented their project to a group of visitors and judges (we won a prize). The event was held in one of the newest buildings of the campus which, along with every other part of the university, had several paintings hung along the walls. This painting really appealed to me, it caught my attention immediately we entered the building. No one there seemed to know any thing about it but I strongly suspect it's by  a past or present student of Duncan and Jordanstone College of Art (part of the University).
We were in a huge double height gallery and this painting was hung very high, much too far away to get a good look and absolutely no chance of getting up close. I estimated the size to be about 6 ft x 8 ft (aprox 2 mts x 3 mts). This is the best shot I could get but my zoom isn't very good and there was no way of getting any closer.
To me, this is very typically a student life study but, an exceptionally good one. I longed to get up close and inspect the detail, no chance of that. The red headscarf sets off the blues and greys perfectly, the detail on the hands is especially good and the profile is striking to say the least. Now I'm on a mission to find out who painted it what if any thing else they have produced. First thing tomorrow I shall be emailing the curator of the university and asking for details.  
   

philsgal7759 wrote on Mar 14, '10
very intriguing
brendainmad wrote on Mar 14, '10
Good luck with your quest and congratulations to the students or their prize.
agnes128 wrote on Mar 14, '10
Yes, I love it too. Also I find it funny 'cuz I just made a roughdraft of a man in front of a blue door with a red hat!
mitchylr wrote on Mar 14, '10
It's an interesting study. I rather like it, too.
bennett1 wrote on Mar 14, '10
It's an intriguing picture, especially due to the ambiguity of what is behind the green/blue drape.
kathyinozarks wrote on Mar 14, '10
I love it too, especially the colors, hope you find out more about the artist
nemo4sun wrote on Mar 14, '10
it is very good

i also like the colors

one would think that they would put a plate up saying who the student was

:)
stillwandering wrote on Mar 14, '10
Yes, find out more! It's intriguing
greenwytch wrote on Mar 14, '10
that's a neat painting, i like how it's done in shades of blue. maybe she sees everything!
djdx wrote on Mar 14, '10
I find it appealing also, I like those colours and often spend time looking out the window, not always "seeing anything".
starfishred wrote on Mar 14, '10
interesting

No comments:

Post a Comment