Tuesday 28 August 2012

Art, Sam Skelton







This is a re-post of an 'Art Sunday' I posted a while ago but because this mans work features mostly children I thought I would re-post it.
Sam Skelton

Information from his web sitehttp://www.samskelton.co.uk/
Born 1949
Scottish Contemporary Artist
Skelton began his career as a graphic designer, which he studied at Glasgow School of Art. His art teacher at school had greatly encouraged his creativity, and Skelton continued to paint, putting work into a few galleries, until a few years ago demand for his paintings grew so that he could concentrate on it full time.
Skelton grew up in the industrial town of Kirkintilloch, and his memories of going to meet his father after school at the foundry where he worked, and watching the furnace workers, fill his paintings. His subjects are nostalgic evocations of Scotland’s industrial past: working class heroes, boxers, a couple on a park bench, a group of men in dark overcoats, watching a football game played on waste ground.
The stark simplicity of Skelton’s figures, painted on rough hessian, belie a rich heritage. These are the kids playing on the street so familiar from the paintings of Joan Eardley or the photographs of Oscar Marzaroli. The influence of the great industrial naïve painter J.S Lowry is clear. His paintings are suffused with the dark, low light of Scotland in winter, with the factory roof on the horizon line.
Skelton exhibits in Glasgow, London and Dublin, where he has a growing number of collectors
   

veryfrank wrote on Jul 10, '10
I do remember these from well over a year ago. They were posted with a poem in Scots.

His art is a most engaging style for sure.
brendainmad wrote on Jul 10, '10
I don't think I remember these, but I like them just the same. Thanks for the re-post.
forgetmenot525 wrote on Jul 10, '10
I remember this one and it is lovely
Ahhhh just goes to show how long you and i have been reading each others pages for :-)
starfishred wrote on Jul 10, '10
I remember this one and it is lovely
forgetmenot525 wrote on Jul 10, '10
yep... modern day lowry is exactly how I would describe his work.
mitchylr wrote on Jul 10, '10
I really like this artist's style. There's a strange kind of echo of Lowry. Can't quite put my finger on it, but that's what came to mind looking at these.

No comments:

Post a Comment