Tuesday 28 August 2012

Art, Fire,






 

I thought I was going to have an easy day today, unfortunately that was not to be. My heating system broke and I’ve spent the day trying to contact electricians. Fortunately I don’t think it’s serious  and at least it   happened now and not when the weather is at its coldest. Sitting here in my little house with no heating on this rather chilly autumn day my thoughts turned to fire. Fire has always fascinated artists, and I don’t just mean painters. Fire is spectacular, fascinating, beautiful, deadly and unrelenting. Taming fire has been a quest of man since earliest times, we tame it use it and even play with it………….
This is a very interesting PDF file I found about one of the best known paintings of a Forest fire. The painting was by the Russian artist
Aleksei Kuz’mich Denisov-Uralsky and was originally titled Lesnoi pozhar
(Forest Fire). This painting has been copied and adapted by many artists many times.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~spyne/UNTAMEDART.pdf
painting

The painting at the top of the page is a bit of a mystery. The only thing it had written under it was ‘’street glow by lawson’’…………and that's all I known. It looks like a picture of a street lit by the living flame of  gas lamps.

This is called  "Wildfire" by an artist called Marina Petro based in  Saratoga Springs, NY USA

The Burning of the Houses of Lords and Commons (1835) by J. M. W. Turner is one of the many paintings he did of the fire. Turner witnessed this fire and returned to the subject over and over again.

No need to introduce this one,   
The Ancient of Days  1794, William Blake


These are videos of people dancing with fire, its mesmerizing to watch and oddly beautiful,
 
   

agnes128 wrote on Oct 4, '10
Beautiful!
bennett1 wrote on Oct 3, '10
I hope you are warmer by now. Some years ago we stayed in a tiny lodge in the Canadian Rockies. In the mountains across from us a forest fire started. We felt safe as the firefighters were staying in the same lodge. It was both fascinating and horrifying to watch the fire. It was much like your picture "Wildfire" and we took many pictures. 1988 I think. They put it out in 2-3 days.
veryfrank wrote on Oct 3, '10
One of those fire dances should warm you up some. I do like the first painting by T. Lawson, it looks like a French street scene.
djdx wrote on Oct 3, '10
I hope your heating will be fixed promptly.

We had a little fire in the woodstove after my husband cleaned out the chimney. It's damp here with so much rain.
rosiefielding2 wrote on Oct 3, '10

hoping that your heating will soon come on my dear, the paintings are beautiful indeed Rosiex
brendainmad wrote on Oct 3, '10
Of the four elements my sign is fire. Hope you get your heating fixed soon. Things like this always happen on a Sunday or other holiday, don't they? I sure could use some cold medicine and could find a chemist's open somewhere but I'll wait until tomorrow. I hate head colds because everything is in my head. lol
nemo4sun wrote on Oct 3, '10
i was a fair hula hooper in my younger days
you need a good balanced hoop

it is all in the hips

:)
forgetmenot525 wrote on Oct 3, '10
had a look at the PDF and truly, the Russian artist has captured the forest fire.
Hi Donna..............yes glad you looked at that, I hoped some one would cos even thought its quite long, there's some really good stuff on it.
forgetmenot525 wrote on Oct 3, '10
thats it.. I'm cracking up..............I'm sitting here in my chair swaying in time with that dam hoop........think its time I made my soup :-)
nemo4sun wrote on Oct 3, '10
greenwytch wrote on Oct 3, '10
*grins* somehow i thought so. ; D
forgetmenot525 wrote on Oct 3, '10, edited on Oct 3, '10
sorry, i used naughty language. ; D
thats OK dear...............I can take it :-)
I think Arthur Brown was a sort of forerunner to Alice Cooper
acousticeagle wrote on Oct 3, '10
I had a look at the PDF and truly, the Russian artist has captured the forest fire.
greenwytch wrote on Oct 3, '10
OMG........ARTHUR BROWN! HELL YEAH! ooops, sorry, i used naughty language. ; D
greenwytch wrote on Oct 3, '10
sorta gives new meaning to 'smoke on the water'....or 'smoke gets in your eyes'
forgetmenot525 wrote on Oct 3, '10
this was a long time ago... remember Arthur Brown ?
greenwytch wrote on Oct 3, '10
definitely!
nemo4sun wrote on Oct 3, '10
i'd practice with an unlit hula hoop first

:)
forgetmenot525 wrote on Oct 3, '10
nemo4sun said
bet you could
ohhhhhhh In my dreams Lol
nemo4sun wrote on Oct 3, '10
It fascinates me, bet she's not cold, wish I could do that.
i bet you could

:)
forgetmenot525 wrote on Oct 3, '10
oh, ack! sounds dreadful, Loretta!
It's not so bad really...............I'm off to make soup soon, I can't stop watching that first video with the girl and her fire hoolla hoop.. It fascinates me, bet she's not cold, wish I could do that.
greenwytch wrote on Oct 3, '10
lol... yes cold, typing with gloves :-(
oh, ack! sounds dreadful, Loretta!
nemo4sun wrote on Oct 3, '10
stay warm

i am hiding under my blankies and quilts today myself

:)
forgetmenot525 wrote on Oct 3, '10
lol... yes cold, typing with gloves :-(
greenwytch wrote on Oct 3, '10
p.s.......i sure hope it will all be sorted soon, it must be quite chilly up in your part of the world now.
greenwytch wrote on Oct 3, '10
what a wonderful inspiration for your art sunday. thanks, Loretta!

No comments:

Post a Comment