Tuesday 28 August 2012

Art, Maggie Beveridge











http://www.maggiebeveridge.com/
The artists name is Maggie Bevereridge and she is a Scottish artist whose work now hangs in private galleries all over the UK and the rest of the world.





This ‘artist’ didn’t train as an artist, she graduated with an honours degree in Botany from Glasgow University in 1976, then worked in arts administration, publishing and aquaculture before exhibiting her paintings for the first time at the University of Stirling in 1993. 



Since then she has exhibited throughout the UK and her paintings hang in private collections in the UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Sweden, Japan, Australia, Canada and the USA.  She now paints part-time, edits part-time and is studying for another degree, this time in Herbal Medicine.










Her paintings, most of which depict animals, are strongly influenced by childhood memories of the west coast of Scotland.







I love the way this lady comes across as a ‘whole’ person with ties to and knowledge of, the earth, plants, water and now herbal medicine.
 

I can see all of this knowledge and her country upbringing reflected in her work.


There is a childlike quality in her I find quite charming, if she ever becomes a herbalist and owns her own premises I can think of nothing more fitting to hang on the walls than her own work.


   


rabbitfriendhere wrote on Sep 1, '11
Temple Grandin would love this art! I love it too! :-)

forgetmenot525 wrote on Aug 29, '11
Hmm, unusual. I think she's found her style niche as an artist, a full 'body' of work full of full bodies - mostly squarish ones.
for some reason I knew this would appeal to you..............I wasn't sure about her at first, i find her work 'growing on me'.......
I've come to understand that in the 'art world' it's not enough to be 'good'. I know lots of artists who are 'good', and its not the case that they are not 'good enough', what they ( also myself) lack is not talent but that special something that's different.........I do believe she has it, what ever that 'special' quality is....she found hers.

acousticeagle wrote on Aug 29, '11
Hmm, unusual. I think she's found her style niche as an artist, a full 'body' of work full of full bodies - mostly squarish ones.

mitchylr wrote on Aug 28, '11
She has a style that really appeals to me.

aaranaardvark wrote on Aug 28, '11
If animals were really that square battery farming would be a lot easier I think

1greenknight wrote on Aug 28, '11
childhood and whimsy

nemo4sun wrote on Aug 28, '11
these are soooooo cool

i love it

:)

forgetmenot525 wrote on Aug 26, '11
Square sheep, never...sheep are cloud shaped everybody knows that
of course...............and naturally we always conform with 'everybody' don't we :-)
OMG.............the lady must be a radical

aaranaardvark wrote on Aug 26, '11, edited on Aug 26, '11
Square sheep, never...sheep are cloud shaped everybody knows that cloudshaped with thin black legs sticking out underneath....that's sheep, they're not all that square around here any roads up.... although I could believe that there are places where they are more on the rectangular side I suppose?

veryfrank wrote on Aug 26, '11
I like the simplistic clean lines and the use of color.

rosiefielding2 wrote on Aug 26, '11
Clean but basic lines resulting in a kind of abstract way, love them all but like the cat pic , very nice artwork indeed.!

artprevails wrote on Aug 26, '11
hehehe! *takes number*

forgetmenot525 wrote on Aug 26, '11
How can I go about hanging out with her for the afternoon?
dunno but if i find out................wait your turn :-)

artprevails wrote on Aug 26, '11
So clean and the colors are just boldly joyous! I love hearing about her life studies. How can I go about hanging out with her for the afternoon?

No comments:

Post a Comment