Tuesday 28 August 2012

Art, Antonio Donghi






 

Antonio Donghi (1897–1963) Italian Painter
Antonio Donghi (March 16, 1897 – July 16, 1963) was an Italian painter  of people, portraits, popular life, landscapes, and still life. He studied in Rome  at the Instituto di Belle Arti.
After his military service during World War I he studied art in Florence and Venice, he became one of Italy's leading figures in the neoclassical movement that developed in the 1920s.
His paintings are very much twentieth century paintings but with an evident tradition of Italian classicism. He developed an extremely refined technique.
The strength of his work lies in the imposing composition and realism. His figures all seem to have a look of stoic resignation about them with just a hint of humour.  His still lifes tend to be simplistic with an almost perfect symmetry.
Donghi achieved both popular and critical success, in 1927 he won First Prize in an International Exhibit at the Carnegie Institute in Pittsburgh.
By the 1940s, Donghi's work was far outside the mainstream of modernism, and his reputation declined although he continued to exhibit regularly. In his last years he concentrated mainly on landscapes, painted in a style that emphasizes linear patterns. He died in Rome in 1963.
Most of Donghi's works are in Italian collections, notably the Museo di Roma.
I chose his figure paintings and portraits to show here just because I like their simplicity.
   

greenwytch wrote on Jan 30, '11
very clean lines and crisp colors. neat stuff! i had never heard of this artist before, either.
mitchylr wrote on Jan 30, '11
I too like the simplicity of his figures and portraits.
kathyinozarks wrote on Jan 30, '11
thank you for introducing a new artist to me
nemo4sun wrote on Jan 29, '11
i like

very much

simple
elegant
wonderfull

:)
brendainmad wrote on Jan 29, '11
Me too, Loretta. Sometimes, paintings have too much going on in them.
acousticeagle wrote on Jan 29, '11
I really like this style of painting. There's a strong linear value combined with a pervading use of ochre. His art reminds me of other artists that have used similar techniques. There's a fresh honesty with this artist, confronting but demure at the same time.
forgetmenot525 wrote on Jan 29, '11
veryfrank said
. If you hadn't stated that he was Italian, I would have immediately guessed Spanish from these paintings.
Thanks Frank, That's interesting because to me they look Italian. To me the subjects have a Spanish feel to them but I thought I saw little bits of the classical italian technique, funny how we all see things differently.
veryfrank wrote on Jan 29, '11
I chose his figure paintings and portraits to show here just because I like their simplicity.
I agree with your choice. If you hadn't stated that he was Italian, I would have immediately guessed Spanish from these paintings.
nemo4sun wrote on Jan 29, '11
i have a busy morning but will be back

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment