Monday 27 August 2012

Poetrey abd Art, Robert Louis Stevenson and Myrtle Sheldon

Apr 7, '10 4:23 PM
for everyone




    Poetry Wednesday; remaining with the seasonal subject of EGGS
Nest Eggs
By Robert Louis Stevenson
Illustrated by Myrtle Sheldon
From 'A Childs Garden Verse'. 

Birds all the summer day
    Flutter and quarrel
Here in the arbour-like
    Tent of the laurel.

Here in the fork
    The brown nest is seated;
For little blue eggs
    The mother keeps heated.

While we stand watching her
    Staring like gabies,
Safe in each egg are the
    Bird's little babies.

Soon the frail eggs they shall
    Chip, and upspringing
Make all the April woods
    Merry with singing.

Younger than we are,
    O children, and frailer,
Soon in the blue air they'll be,
    Singer and sailor.

We, so much older,
    Taller and stronger,
We shall look down on the
    Birdies no longer.

They shall go flying
    With musical speeches
High overhead in the
    Tops of the beeches.

In spite of our wisdom
    And sensible talking,
We on our feet must go
    Plodding and walking.
   

hedgewitch9 wrote on Apr 16, '10
I didn't have this one, I had The Water Babies :)

LOVE this, must look out for it!
forgetmenot525 wrote on Apr 8, '10
thanks every one and yes I love Franks Erin photo too, he and I both have Erin Granddaughters. Seems this book has been pretty popular, it's a book I had as a child too but for some reason I never had a copy of it for my children. maybe I should look for one I'm pretty sure the grandkids would love it.
mitchylr wrote on Apr 8, '10
Not a poem I'm familiar with, but I really liked it. Had to smile at Frank's photo. Even the dog seems to be enjoying it.
veryfrank wrote on Apr 7, '10
'A Childs Garden Verse' has been a standard read in our family for years. Erin often reads it to the dog, no joke. Thanks for the post.

stillwandering wrote on Apr 7, '10
i had that book when i was a girl. ; D
me too
stillwandering wrote on Apr 7, '10
Thank you for posting this, what a lovely interlude!
nemo4sun wrote on Apr 7, '10
:)
greenwytch wrote on Apr 7, '10
i had that book when i was a girl. ; D

No comments:

Post a Comment