Monday 27 August 2012

Art and poetry, William Blake, A poison Tree



William Blake
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Blake was an English poet, painter, and printmaker. Largely unrecognised during his lifetime, Blake is now considred a major figure in the history of both the poetry and visual arts of the Romantic Age. His prophetic poetry has been said to form "what is in proportion to its merits the least read body of poetry in the English language" His visual artistry has led one modern critic to proclaim him "far and away the greatest artist Britain has ever produced"
Although he only once travelled more than a days walk out side London; he produced a diverse and symbolically rich body of work which when viewed today can bee seen as the source of inspiration for many of todays fantasy painters, poets and authors. He was a man way before his time.
Considered mad by contemporaries for his idiosyncratic views, Blake is held in high regard by later critics for his expressiveness and creativity, and for the philosophical and mystical undercurrents within his work.
Songs of Experience is the second part of Songs of Innocence and of Experience: Shewing the Two Contrary States of the Human Soul (first published in 1794), an expansion of Blake's first illuminated book Songs of Innocence.
A Poison Tree
I was angry with my friend;
I told my wrath, my wrath did end
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.
And I waterd it in fears,
Night & morning with my tears:
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.
And it grew both day and night.
Till it bore an apple bright.
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine.
And into my garden stole,
When the night had veild the pole;
In the morning glad I see;
My foe outstretchd beneath the tree.



   

tsblackmoon wrote on Jul 18, '09
There was also a William Blake Tarot deck.

I'm reminded of the passage in Genesis that says, " . . . Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it."
brendainmad wrote on Jul 13, '09
I like William Blake too.
veryfrank wrote on Jul 12, '09, edited on Jul 12, '09
I am also fascinated by Blake's work. I have used his art in some of my blogs. I especially like "Jacob's Ladder", your first picture.
forgetmenot525 wrote on Jul 12, '09
This is the link to Pats blog.................it is fascinating

http://pestep55.multiply.com/journal/item/519/Art_Sunday_Sandra_Fisher_follow-up_-
forgetmenot525 wrote on Jul 12, '09
pestep55 said
BTW I posted one on Sandra Fisher after looking up some info after your post her husband.
yep I just came back from there, would recommend it to every one else, great post thanks.
hedgewitch9 wrote on Jul 12, '09
I have always loved Blake, thank you for these wonderful pages :))
pestep55 wrote on Jul 12, '09
BTW I posted one on Sandra Fisher after looking up some info after your post her husband.
pestep55 wrote on Jul 12, '09
One of my favorites over the years -- always thought of as a poet /:-)
acousticeagle wrote on Jul 12, '09
Blake has remained a fascination since my teens when I had a personal 'discovery' of him and would read the 'Songs' books. The images are fascinating; they contain many 'statue-like' figures, all surrounded by earth, wind and fire. He was a true mystic that inspires others who have a fascination with mysticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment