Monday 27 August 2012

Art, Wawi Amasha






Wawi Amasha
AFRICAN ARTIST LIVING AND WORKING IN USA
ALL INFORMATION FROM THE ARTISTS SITE WHICH CAN BE FOUND HERE
http://www.wawiart.com


"The world is filled with so much pain and suffering, and I believe Art is supposed to heal us" - Wawi Amasha

Wawi Amasha is among an emerging generation of Kenyan artists working and living in the USA. With a professional career spanning almost two years, the artist draws inspiration from her home country.
Themes of her work mirrors varied aspects of Kenyan culture. She was born and raised by her grandmother in a small village in Embu district, about 220 miles from Nairobi, Kenya.
A keen study of her paintings reveals a seemingly deliberate lack of facial features on her subjects, She says: "This is a technique meant to portray the faceless nature of African people as viewed by the rest of the world".
But lately she is branching out to more detailed paintings while still staying true to her own original style.
If you look carefully, you will find that she places a giraffe in most of her paintings. She does this in honor of her grandfather whose name "Ndwiga" in her language means giraffe

Interview- April 2005 by Ciiku Case
What are your full names? Cynthia Grace Wawira Ndwiga a.k.a Wawi Amasha. Most of my friends and family simply call me "Wawi" pronounced "Wah-way". It's short for Wawira.

Where were you born and raised? I was born in Kadongu in Mwea District where my mother was working as a teacher and raised by my maternal grandmother in a small village called Rwika, about 25 km from Embu town in the Eastern Province of Kenya .

Mami Afrika Designs
WAWI ALSO DESIGNS EXCLUSIVE FASHIONS WITH AND AFRICAN THEME
Wawi's First Fashion Show at Zanzibar in Santa Monica - July 2007


Amasha wants to discover and explore different mediums in her efforts to provide inspiring art to her already growing fan base. But more importantly, she seeks to create art that will inspire people. She wants her art to promote Love, Peace, and unity for all humanity.
Check out the rest of her work on her website, it's worth a look.


   


veryfrank wrote on Aug 16, '09
Quite nice indeed. She is very talented. I agree with the comments about the use of vivid colors.

blondino01ontal9 wrote on Aug 16, '09


so beautiful .. loved them

mitchylr wrote on Aug 16, '09
Thanks for the intro to this artist. I love the vibrancy of the colours she uses. If you hadn't said where she was from, I would most likely have guessed Kenya, as the colour palette she uses mirrors that of the traditional dress of that country. It was interesting to note her statement about the 'facelessness' of African people as perceived by the rest of the world. A simple statement that sums up much truth!!

starfishred wrote on Aug 16, '09
love her colors thanks for a wonderful intro to a wonderful artist

brendainmad wrote on Aug 16, '09
Such happy colours!

acousticeagle wrote on Aug 16, '09
I was only just last week admiring a painting in a shop window of a group of zebras. I've thought to myself as a painter of the equine, that I would do one myself one day of the striped animal. The painting above of zebras is very striking. An artist from Africa would have so much inspiration and material to draw from.

lonewolfwithin wrote on Aug 16, '09
awesome pictures... love the vivid colors!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness- I just came across this on the web--thank you so much to the person who put this together and all the wonderful comments. I am deeply humbled by your appreciation of my creations. I have a great passion for Africa and the world at large really- for the fabric that connects us all and mostly for living close with the earth. If you have a moment, take a look at the new re-build websites. Sending you all love!

    Wawi Amasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad you got to see this, I came across this stuff on the net one day and really liked it. This ( and all the other older posts here) have been imported from the original blog site Multiply because Multiply is closing its doors to bloggers in December. I've very glad you saw it now because none of us ( those who imported from Multiply) know what will be left once that site goes down in December. So now I'll go check out your new web site, thanks.

      Delete