Saturday 25 August 2012

Poetry & Art, Denise Findlay and Dory Previn







Lyrics to Angels And Devils The Following Day :
By Dory Previn, (previously featured in Song Saturday)

Art Work by Denise Findlay; contemporary Scottish Artist.

loved I two men

equally well

though they were diff'rent

as heaven and hell

one was an artist

one drove a truck

one would make love

the other would fuck

each treated me

the way he knew best

one help me lightly

one bruised my breast

and i responded

on two diff'rent levels

like children reacting

to angels and devils
one was a poet

who sang and read verse

one was a peasant

who drank and who cursed

before you decide

who's cruel and who's kind

let me explain

what i felt

in my heart and my mind....

the artist was tender

but suffered from guilt

making him sorry

the following day

and he made me feel guilty

the very same way

in his bed on the following day
the other would take me

and feel no remorse

he'd wake with a smile

in the bed where we lay

and he made me smile

in the very same way

in his bed on the following day

the blow to my soul

by fear and taboos

cut deeper far

than a bodily bruise
and the one who was gentle

hurt me much more

than the one who was rough

and made love on the floor.

Add a Comment
   

bostonsdandd wrote on Sep 5, '08
I can relate to this poem. And the poetess really gets to the truth of the subject. Sometimes it's the words we DON'T speak that hurts worse than any blow man/woman can give us. I get it.

Thanks for visiting my poem. GREAT thinking poem you used!

sanssouciblogs wrote on Sep 4, '08
An excellent intro, beautifully presented. So insightful into the spirit of love, thanks!

jayaramanms wrote on Sep 4, '08
Great poem and beautiful pictures. I like the pictures very much.Thank you for sharing. Mine is at - http://jayaramanms.multiply.com/journal/item/256/POETRY_WEDNEDAY.

starfishred wrote on Sep 3, '08
very very nice loretta

acousticeagle wrote on Sep 3, '08
How insightful. This is what I've thought about love relationships - that it's really always about how the person that one is in a relationship with makes you feel. I like the last painting here, it's simple but the butterfly collection gives it the detail and deeper interest.

veryfrank wrote on Sep 3, '08
I like the art and the lyrics very much. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment