Friday 24 August 2012

Art, illustrations, Harry Whanslaw



ART, Some Illustrations by;Harry W. Whanslaw
I don't usually show illustrations, especially children's illustrations, but these particular ones I quite like, they are so much a product of their time.
They are drawn by one of the key personalities behind the formation of The Guild (The British Puppet and Model Theatre Guild), Harry W.Whanslaw, usually known as 'Whanny'.
As well as being an inspiration to the puppet world, (which is how he is usually remembered), he was one of the most prolific illustrators of books in the early twentieth century; and these rather nice illustrations come from a little book called THE EVER- EVER LAND, by Richard Wilson, printed in 1932, in London.
One of Whannys  most significant works was the ‘Chatterbox Annual’, also published in 1923.
It contained some of his illustrations under the title ‘The Toy That Never Grows Old’. The popularity of this led to the publication of the book that inspired so many model theatre enthusiasts, ’Everybody’s Theatre’.
This man is a virtual unknown outside of the puppet world, (where he is revered) and that is a bit of a shame. Some of his illustrations are perfect examples of the simple shapes and bold colours typical of the  decorative style of his period.
   


luckebabe wrote on May 12, '09
very nice illustrations. thanks for the intro.

acousticeagle wrote on May 11, '09
Oh yes, I can see why you appreciate them. There's definite Art Deco style in a couple of those illustrations, particularly in the one with the American Indian. Sometimes I collect books purely for the illustrations, whether the cover or for what's inside.

dianahopeless wrote on May 11, '09
These are really nice. I could see most of them framed on a child's wall too. I think I would even like the American Indian ones on one of my walls.

brendainmad wrote on May 11, '09
I thought the same as veryfrank. These would be lovely on the walls of a child's room.

starfishred wrote on May 10, '09
oh this si very lovely loretta thanks

veryfrank wrote on May 10, '09
Gently and simplistically done, they do chronicle the first half of the 20th century. I can see some similarity to "Winnie the Pooh" and "The Wizard of Oz."

bennett1 wrote on May 10, '09
When I was young my parents bought me some old (early 50's) books to practice reading. They are beloved and I still have them. These pictures remind me of the pictures in one or two of the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment