Friday 24 August 2012

Poetry, William Soutar, Patriotism





Willie Soutar
Perth Poet, 1898-1943

Willie is a twentieth century Scottish poet who wrote in his local dialect. His language, while being distinctively Scots, not the language of long dead poets, it’s a language that is alive and well and spoken every day in his local region. He was born in 1898 to John Soutar, joiner in the town of Perth, and Margaret Smith.
Between 1912 and 1916 he was a pupil at Perth Academy, which was then situated in Rose Terrace opposite the North Inch. Here he excelled both in the classroom and on the sports field, and was a very popular member in his year group. By this time his literary skills were developing and the school magazine, the Young Barbarian, published some of his early poems.
This Poem is called Patriotism and it describes the countryside where he grew up. I think this is fairly easy to understand but I have added my own translation at the bottom. These photos are photos I found online ( I still haven’t managed to replace my broken camera) and show the area he describes in the poem, which is about an hours drive to the West of here. I don't think this poem was written with winter in mind but the pictures do show what a beautiful area it is.
Patriotism
Whan I haik't up to Craigie Hill
And lookit east and west;
"In a' the world," said I to mysel',
"My ain shire is the best."

translation
When I hiked up to Craigie Hill
And looked east and west
In all the world said I to myself
My own shire is the best.

Whan I haik't up to Craigie Hill
And frae the hicht look't doun;
"There is nae place," said I to mysel',
"Mair braw nor our borough-toun."

translation
When I hiked up to Craigie Hill

And from the height looked down
There is no place said I to myself
More bonny than out borough town

And a' be mysel' on Craigie Hill
I spak in the Lord's ear;
"O! whan the haly bugles trill
Lat me wauken up richt here!

translation
And all by myself on Craigie hill

I spoke in the Lords ear
Oh when the Holy bugles trill
Let me waken up right here.


Glossary
haik't - hiked;
hicht - height;
braw – fine
haly – holy
wauken – waken

follow the link to rejoin the tour



http://lauritasita.multiply.com/journal/item/1290/Poetry_Wednesday_041509_Sign_in_and_take_the_tour





   


skeezicks1957 wrote on May 15, '09
There is no place like home. I really like this Loretta. Thank you!

sweetpotatoqueen wrote on May 13, '09
The translations help to enjoy this lovely sentiment about a place that the poet held close to his heart.
Always fun to read new writers!

sanssouciblogs wrote on May 13, '09
Thanks for including the translations, Loretta.
A poem of thanks and appreciation to nature, to what one has. Deep gratitude. Something we should all feel.
Very lovely graphics, too and as always, a beautiful post.

caffeinatedjo wrote on May 12, '09
I have always wanted to travel to Scotland. I hear it is some of the most beautiful land in the world. His poem sure drives that home. And he conveys such a sense of gratitude for his surroundings, making his poem a pleasure to read.

bennett1 wrote on May 12, '09
There are spots on this earth I feel the same way about - he is able to capture the feeling in just a few simple words. I like hearing them in my head, melodic. When I come to the UK (someday) I must go to Scotland and perhaps you can show me around.

No comments:

Post a Comment