Sunday 26 August 2012

P.P.P.P. no 7 Kitchens



 
 
P.P.P.P. KITCHENS..............etc

P IS FOR PERFORMANCE

Jim Morrison,
The Doors, The Soul Kitchen Song      


Lyrics: Soul Kitchen, Jim Morrison
Well, the clock says it's time to close, now;
I guess I'd better go, now;
I'd really like to stay here all night.
The cars crawl all stuffed with eyes,
Street light shed their hollow glow;
Your brain seems bruised with numb surprise.
Still one place to go, still one place to go.
Let me sleep all night in your soul kitchen,
Warm my mind near you gentle stove.
Turn me out and I'll wander, baby,
Stumbling in the neon groves.
Your fingers weave quick minarets,
Speaking in secret alphabets.
I light another cigarette,
Learn to forget, learn to forget,
Learn to forget, learn to forget.
Let me sleep all night in your soul kitchen,
Warm my mind near you gentle stove.
Turn me out and I'll wander, baby,
Stumbling in the neon groves, yeah.
Well,the clock says it's time to close, now;
I know I have to go now
I'd really wanna stay here all night,
All night, all night.

Today my topic is Kitchens (and all things connected to them), I just seem to be a bit pre-occupied with kitchens at the moment.
;and I don’t think I need to remind any one, but just in case; THIS IS MY 4 IN 1 BLOG, P is for Poem (as in Poetry Wednesday), P is for Photo (as in foto Friday), P is for Performance (as in Song Saturday) and P is for Painting (as in Art Sunday). Just click the pictures to see them full size.
P IS FOR POEM

Back Kitchen.
In my back kitchen all is quite still,
I have cooked my food and ate my fill.
Then the dishes in the sink had their say,
He always eats here but he does not pay.
The empty bottle of fresh brewed beer,
Said, 'He drained me dry without a tear.'
Then of course the mess he makes,
To cook a meal the time he takes.
Could he not eat in the restaurant next door?
They need the money because the Boss is poor.
The only thing that had nothing to say,
Was the frying pan it was not its day.
The knives and forks were filled with rage,
He is a messy eater he should act his age.
Picking out bits here and there indeed,
No wonder he takes so long to have his feed.
Have you ever listened to your kitchen tools?
Mine complain I am the king of fools.
They say I should go out to eat,
Order fresh vegetables with plenty of meat.
Not to come home and start to cook,
I should be relaxing with a good book.
They have no respect for me you know,
Just because I am old and getting slow.
I wash the pots and pans clean each day,
Then I carefully put them all away.
I think I will throw them away onto the rubbish heap,
Except for the sugar bowl that I will keep.

Bernard Shaw

------------------------------------------------------
P IS FOR PHOTO
These photographs are of the dining area of
House for an Art Lover’;
A house designed both inside and out by husband and wife team Charles Rennie Macintosh and Margaret Macdonald. Macintosh was the architect and mostly designed the actual building and Macdonald was mostly responsible for the interior design. I took these photos a couple of years ago when I went to Glasgow and visited the house.

------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------

P IS FOR PAINTING

Willem Kalf:
Dutch Master of Still Life Paintings

Willem Kalf was a 17th century Dutch painter, known mostly for his amazingly detailed life studies.Today he’s considered one of the greatest still life painters in all of all time .many of Kalf’s paintings are composed images of precious goblets, pitchers, and bowls; sometimes with various pieces of fruit all displayed on expensive woven cloth. This subject matter is connected to the kitchens and dining tables of wealthy Dutch society in the 17th century, and his work became known as pronkstilleven, which in Dutch means, “opulent still life painting.”

Bruegel, Pieter the Elder
Peasant Wedding Feast

Pieter Bruegel (about 1525-69), usually known as Pieter Bruegel the Elder to distinguish him from his elder son, was the first in a family of Flemish painters. He spelled his name Brueghel until 1559, and his sons retained the "h" in the spelling of their names. Pieter Bruegel the Elder, generally considered the greatest Flemish painter of the 16th century, is by far the most important member of the family. He was probably born in Breda in the Duchy of Brabant, now in The Netherlands. His paintings, including his landscapes and scenes of peasant life, show the vulgar side of peasant life, but he painted with empathy and humour. The  paintings are beautifully painted, as if in celebration of human life and all its flaws. He was sometimes called the "peasant Bruegel" from such works as Peasant Wedding Feast (1567).
VELAZQUEZ
 AN OLD WOMAN COOKING EGGS
1618

SCOTTISH COLOURISTS


Cadell; Cecillia no2


Hunter; Fruit and Books
   

sugarpiehuny wrote on Jan 30, '09
Very nice and diverse post.. I am partial to Bernard Shaw.. Loved his poem. But then The doors are hard to beat! Loved it all!
forgetmenot525 wrote on Jan 28, '09
Many thanks to every one for all your kind comments, glad you all enjoyed it.
notjay wrote on Jan 28, '09
Awesome collection, love the imagery from the Kitchen - definitely made me smile. Jay
jadedruid wrote on Jan 27, '09
Excellent collection this week. I had to giggle at the angry cutlery and I'm with the poem. I've thought about just throwing the pots and pans away. It seems like such kitchen freedom
sanssouciblogs wrote on Jan 27, '09
What amazes me is that it's "easier" for you to do this one big post which is actually enough to fill 16 blogs!
You are amazing.
Enjoyed the Shaw poem and the angry cutlery! I'll keep the sugar, too!
lauritasita wrote on Jan 27, '09
Loretta, I really love this combination thing you've been doing here. What a great job ! That's so funny that we're both featuring The Doors this week, ha ! Great poem and paintings, too ! Love, Laurita.
acousticeagle wrote on Jan 26, '09
Great pic for Performance. I've got several Doors CDs and I find all of their music compelling.
Some kitchens are great places to be because it's where family usually congregates. When I think of my ideal kitchen it has cupboard doors with glass so you can see what's in them, bright walls for a sunny, work-inspired atmosphere, pots'n'pans hanging from hooks from rail suspended from a ceiling and a big table where meals are had. Have you decided how you're going to redecorate?
djdx wrote on Jan 26, '09
Lovely post. Can't help thinking did that egg start to stink by the time he finished the painting? And looking at the Velazquez, what is the boy holding in his right hand and what is the heat source for poaching the eggs? Maybe they were cooked elsewhere and are just sitting on a hot pot holder.
starfishred wrote on Jan 25, '09
A very nice post loretta aöö the paintings and the poem are wonderful thanks
seanymph3 wrote on Jan 25, '09
Those still life have always been one of my very favorites. It amazes me they could make paint look so real back then. I like that poem too :)
kathyinozarks wrote on Jan 25, '09
excellent post-totally enjoyed it
veryfrank wrote on Jan 25, '09
This is an excellent grouping. I very much enjoyed Shaw's 'Back Kitchen.' I haven't read that one before. It is mind bending that he wrote approximately 2800 poems, I'll never read them all, don't even know if I could find them all.

I also like the Velazquez work 'An Old Woman Cooking Eggs.' I do thoroughly appreciate the 'opulent still life paintings' by Willem Kalf. I have a friend here from Holland, she has used prints of his paintings to great advantage in her decorating.

The 'House for an Art Lover’ is something that I would like to see in person.

Thank you for this posting. I'm still smiling with Shaw.
brendainmad wrote on Jan 25, '09
I love the Veláquez painting too for obvious reasons. You are always so thorough, Loretta. Everything fits together so well, just like your kitchen when you get it finished I'm sure.
forgetmenot525 wrote on Jan 25, '09
bennett1 said
What to comment on? I will choose the beautifully painted Cecillia
Thanks Bennett.........my own favourite is the lovely old woman cooking her eggs..........I think this is a real masterpiece
Comment deleted at the request of the author.
Comment deleted at the request of the author.
bennett1 wrote on Jan 25, '09
Such richness!! What to comment on? I will choose the beautifully painted Cecillia, who calmly looks at herself in a mirror. More detail can be seen in the reflection, hinting at a greater depth in Cecillia herself than generally is manifest. I love the lights and darks in the painting as well as the rhythm and flow in the picture's diagonals.

No comments:

Post a Comment