Sunday 26 August 2012

Art, Bob Dylan




I heard this on the radio as I was getting ready to meet a couple of friends for lunch. I think I would very much like to go to this exhibition.


http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/internet/Leisure/Museums_and_galleries/City_Art_Centre_exhibition



Bob Dylan; The Drawn Blank series,


31 January - 15 March 2009


Edinburgh's City Art Centre presents an exclusive free exhibition of the artwork of Bob Dylan.  The Drawn Blank Series is the most comprehensive and authoritative collection of Bob Dylan's art ever assembled and casts a vibrant new light on the creativity of one of the world's most important influential cultural figures
Bob Dylan has been a committed visual artist for more than four decades.  Based on drawings and sketches made by Dylan while on the road during the period of 1989 to 1992, the paintings in The Drawn Blank Series visually echo the hallmarks of Dylan’s prose, poetry and music.
Bob Dylan is one of the world's most popular and acclaimed songwriters, musicians and performers, having sold more than 110 million albums and performed literally thousands of shows around the world spanning five decades.

Opening Times

Monday - Saturday 10am - 5pm
Sunday - 12 - 5pm
Free Admission
   Contacts
Name: City Art Centre
Address: 2 Market Street,
Edinburgh EH1 1DE
Tel: 0131 529 3993

   

acousticeagle wrote on Feb 2, '09
What I find interesting about Dylan's art works are that they are about real subject matter, rather than abstract -or the trying to do something which no body else has thought up yet (if such a thing still exists). In that there's honesty.
forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 1, '09
As good as these seem I like yours better
oh my thank you, still blushinjg..................:) No my drawings are not that good but what I do think is that he draws and paints in the same style as he writes and sings...............that is 'rough around the edges', gritty, with colour, realistic but with the flaws of humanity...............if you see what i mean.
forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 1, '09
Thanks very much for all your comments folks................now I think I HAVE TO go to the exhibition .........then I can report back to you all .... :)
forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 1, '09
Wonder if that happened to anyone else. Gremlins?
Sorry about that Brenda................thought the gremlins had left me but seems they are back. maybe I will delete the picture and start again to see if that helps.
brendainmad wrote on Feb 1, '09
I knew that he painted. Loretta, when I clicked on the seaside picture and the river one to make them bigger, the woman in the yellow dress came up. Wonder if that happened to anyone else. Gremlins?
aimlessjoys wrote on Feb 1, '09, edited on Feb 1, '09
WOW! Now this is a revelation. Thanks so much for sharing this because BD is one of my heroes & I never knew about his visual art, aside from his failed movies. My fave of these is the one with the bicycle, but it makes me think of my old French textbook for some reason. I'd love to have a look at his sketchbook, for sure, but these "snapshots" chronicle his immediate existence & mostly could be considered fodder ( maybe too strong a word to use ;-p) for his words, don't you think? Have Fun at the showing & I wish I could have a look at it, too!
djdx wrote on Feb 1, '09
I didn't know he was also an artist.
starfishred wrote on Feb 1, '09
As good as these seem I like yours better but that is my opinion-he is famouse and we are not.
Very nice post on him I knew he painted I have a doctore friend in Bevely Hills Ca. and he bought one for charity.
veryfrank wrote on Jan 31, '09
I would like to see the exhibition as well. I discovered that Dylan was an artist when I did a blog on classic rock art. In addition to the rock singers that I included, there was a lot of work by Dylan and Tony Bennett out there. I should look to see if that is a traveling exhibition and may be headed to the States. Thank you for the posting.
lauritasita wrote on Jan 31, '09
I wish I could go with you. He is very good, isn't he ? I love his work. Thank you for finding these !
forgetmenot525 wrote on Jan 31, '09
Hi Laurita, like I said these pictures are very small, just hope I can get down to Edinburgh to see the exhibition. While searching online for pictures to use I did notice there are quite a lot of examples of his work out there, just not very big ones.
lauritasita wrote on Jan 31, '09
Loretta, these are great, and I didn't know Dylan was an artist ! His work is so colorful, I would never think these were his. Thank you so much ! I think I'll take another look ! Love, Laurita.
forgetmenot525 wrote on Jan 31, '09
Thanks Bennett...............my only regret is that i just can't find any bigger pictures of his work. If I manage to get down to Edinburgh to see the exhibition I hope to get some better pictures to share
bennett1 wrote on Jan 31, '09
As familiar as I thought I was with Dylan, I had never seen these paintings. I especially like the woman in the yellow dress. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment