Saturday 25 August 2012

Art Scottish seascapes



Art Sunday, Scottish Seascapes

If we are doing what we like best for me it has to be ‘Scottish Seascapes’. I’ve included a couple of turner paintings here, I know he is English, not Scottish but I included him because he did spend some time here painting the coast and his work greatly influenced the Scottish Seascape painters who came after him. Today there is no big write up just a collection of Scottish Seascapes through the ages, finishing with a whole album of work from a young female artist painting in the islands today.

John Runciman, 1767,  
King Lear in the storm


Alexander Nasmyth 1816,
A View of Tantallon Castle


The Rev John Thomson of Duddingston
Wolf's Crag, c 1820
 
Turner, 1842
Burial at Sea


Turner, Slaveship

And now a couple I have shown before
Mctaggart, 1890
The Storm

Joan Eardley
Early Flood Tide


Joan Eardley
The Sea

 And a new painter Ruth Brownlee,
Gales on Brecon Beach

 RUTH BROWNLEE
Ruth Brownlee is a young Artist who lives and works in the Shetland isles. The following is taken directly from her web site, I just love her work, to me it follows directly from Mctaggart and Eardly, hope you like it too.
Ruth was born in 1972 in West Lothian. From 1990 - 1994 she attended   Heriot Watt University/ Edinburgh College of Art, graduating with a BA (Hons) in Drawing and Painting. In 1993 she was awarded theAndrew Grant Bequest Exchange to L'Ecole Des Beaux Arts, Tours, France. During her career she has won a number of  awards including -The Elizabeth Ballantyne Award at the S.A.A.C 5th Annual Exhibition, Royal Scottish Academy, December 1994, 'Scotland's Year of the Artist Award' Scottish Arts Council/ National Lottery Fund 2000 for Artist-in-residence on board the SWAN and Finalist for The Gilchrist - Fisher Award 2002, for Young Landscape painters under 30 Ruth writes about her work:
"My paintings are based on my experiences of living in the Shetland environment and are concerned with capturing the atmosphere, the play of light on the sea and coastal landscape, through mixed media. The skies and seas of Shetland are now a constant inspiration.....I first came to Shetland in 1998 when I was invited to do teaching in the isles. The islands had such an effect on me - particularly the changing light and open space - I decided to move to the isles and return to painting. It took me nearly a year to be able to digest the wealth of the landscape and begin to interpret Shetland and its seas as it was a completely different environment to my home land in West Lothian. I was and still am, taken by the constant changing elements - particularly the drama of light upon the seas. The moods of weather playing upon the land and mists on the moors provide continuing inspiration.Since moving, I have also been introduced to sailing which has again created a whole new relationship with the ocean. I've been able to further develop my understanding of the seas and to capture the completely different atmosphere of being 'at sea'
Jamie Thomas wrote recently in Thee Shetland Post '...Ruth's work has a distinctive slightly abstract style. Using a limited palette of deep blues, whites, dark browns and greens, she creates a very intense impression of scale and depth and a real feeling of power of the sea. The cold northern skies are reflected with equal intensity...'
See her work here




Add a Comment
   
Comment deleted at the request of the thread owner.
Comment deleted at the request of the thread owner.

blondino01ontal9 wrote on Mar 14, '09
what a wonderful site you have Loretta .

I am in Edinburgh

luckebabe wrote on Aug 25, '08
I like the second one the best, Tantallon Castle. The power of water is amazing.

veryfrank wrote on Aug 24, '08
I do like the Ruth Brownlee work, the colors are wonderful. Seeing these displayed here, clears up for me why I was drawn to the Nasmyth and Crag paintings in your other posting. Both paintings depict the power of the sea, yet show sufficient land to have a sense of safety and enough blue sky to show hope for the coming calm. Thank you, great selections.

butlerdidit2 wrote on Aug 24, '08
I really enjoyed the Ruth Brownlee paintings...love her colors. Thanks for sharing her work!

nemo4sun wrote on Aug 24, '08
the sea is the mother of all
master of power and glory

:)

forgetmenot525 wrote on Aug 24, '08
Thanks .............afraid that is a pretty poor copy of king Lear but it was the best i could find.

greenwytch wrote on Aug 24, '08
beautiful - i am particularly drawn to the king lear and the one right below of the castle. very powerful! thanks, loretta.

asolotraveler wrote on Aug 24, '08
lovely selections - makes me years for something OTHER THAN my landlocked middle state...oh yes, that's what vacations are for!

starfishred wrote on Aug 24, '08
again they are so wonderful thanks for the tour

No comments:

Post a Comment