Sunday 26 August 2012

Poetry, Waldo Emerson



This is an old favourite,
but you can't read this one too often.

What is Success?
To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by
a healthy child, a garden patch
or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed
easier because you have lived;
This is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson




Add a Comment
   
acousticeagle wrote on Nov 28, '08
It's a simple poem, yet profound as a tenet of 'attitude'. I remember Frank posting it, that's fine because a good piece of writing is worth oft repeating! I'm a firm believer in leaving something, whether a place where one has lived, or a relationship (if the relationship is of a temporary kind), or anything else, in a better state than when one first came into it. Sometimes that isn't always easy but one has to try. And like you say if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. These days people are talking about reducing their 'carbon footprint'. This is a good social attitude to take to leave the world a better place.
kvnwheeler wrote on Nov 28, '08
Very true words
djdx wrote on Nov 28, '08
I agree.
starfishred wrote on Nov 27, '08
I like emerson -nice poem-
veryfrank wrote on Nov 27, '08
I so like Emerson. This is a special favorite of mine. I have some very nice bookmarks, with this printed on them. I include them with books that I give as gifts. I agree, you can't read this one too often.
forgetmenot525 wrote on Nov 27, '08
Hi Bennett, yes I took both photos, no I didn't grow the veg (or the Rowan tree), and although this is very kind of you......................I think the poem is better than those two photos :-)
bennett1 wrote on Nov 27, '08
Now that I think you took the picture, did you grow the vegetables?
bennett1 wrote on Nov 27, '08
Even nicer than the poem is the picture of the vegetables. Lovely arrangement and I am wondering if you took it.

No comments:

Post a Comment