Sunday 26 August 2012

P.P.P.P. no 4 Angels



P. P. P. P. no 4 ANGELS

P is for Performance
Robbie Williams Singing
Angels

I don’t think I need to remind any one, but just in case; This is my 4 in 1 blog,  P is for poem (as in Poetry Wednesday), P is for Photo (as in Foto Friday), P is for Performance (as in Song Saturday) and P is for Painting (as in Art Sunday). You should be able to click on all the images to enlarge. My topic for today is Angels, Angels to watch over us in the New Year, so here it is with my very, very best and heartfelt wishes to all of you for the New Year.
Below, from the Sistine chapel by Raphael


P IS FOR POEM

TITLE; The Four Angles
Author: Rudyard Kipling
As Adam lay a-dreaming beneath the Apple Tree,
The Angel of the Earth came down, and offered Earth in fee.
But Adam did not need it,
Nor the plough he would not speed it,
Singing:--"Earth and Water, Air and Fire,
What more can mortal man desire?"
(The Apple Tree's in bud.)
As Adam lay a-dreaming beneath the Apple Tree,
The Angel of the Waters offered all the Seas in fee.
But Adam would not take 'em,
Nor the ships he wouldn't make 'em,
Singing:--"Water, Earth and Air and Fire,
What more can mortal man desire?"
(The Apple Tree's in leaf.)
As Adam lay a-dreaming beneath the Apple Tree,
The Angel of the Air he offered all the Air in fee.
But Adam did not crave it,
Nor the flight he wouldn't brave it,
Singing:--"Air and Water, Earth and Fire,
What more can mortal man desire?"
(The Apple Tree's in bloom.)
As Adam lay a-dreaming beneath the Apple Tree,
The Angel of the Fire rose up and not a word said he.
But he wished a fire and made it,
And in Adam's heart he laid it,
Singing.--"Fire, fire, burning Fire,
Stand up and reach your heart's desire!"
(The Apple Blossom's set.)
As Adam was a-working outside of Eden-Wall,
He used the Earth, he used the Seas, he used the Air and all;
And out of black disaster
He arose to be the master
Of Earth and Water, Air and Fire,
But never reached his heart's desire!
(The Apple Tree's cut down!)

....Not exactly what you expect from an 'Angel Poem', but this is partly what attracted me to it.........I like the unexpected.


AND; to finish up the poetry, a couple of little ‘Angel Quotes’
The Angels were all singing out of tune,
And hoarse with having little else to do,
Excepting to wind up the sun and moon
Or curb a runaway young star or two.
—Lord Byron

The angels are so enamoured of the language that is spoken in heaven, that they will not distort their lips with the hissing and unmusical dialects of men, but speak their own, whether there be any who understand it or not.
—Ralph Waldo Emerson


"The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us and we see nothing but sand; the angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone"
George Eliot
Below, Head of an Angel by Pietro da Cortona



---------------------------------------------------------

P IS FOR PHOTO
This is my own special Angel. She is more of a fairie really but I think of her as the Angel. She is special because she sat at the top of every Christmas tree when I was a child. We always had a real Christmas tree but it was usually quite small. She sat at the top of our Christmas tree when my children were very small babies. When my family grew a little older and we moved here we had enormous trees, they reached to the ceiling of our old house and shed thousands of tiny pine needles that I spent the whole of the following year trying to vacuum up. I decorated those trees with red ribbons and bows and little presents and still she sat at the top of the tree. When my marriage broke up she was the only thing I took from the enormous box of Christmas decorations. Every year since then she has sat at the top of my tree, usually helped into position by one of my grandchildren……………so here she is;
My Angel
---------------------------------------------------------------------


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P is for Painting
Today I have chosen a couple of different Angel Paintings, no big write up, just paintings to look at.
J. M. W. Turner "The Angel Standing in the Sun" 1846
was painted in his 70's and it shows where the light of the sun dissolves the boundary of Heaven and earth and an angel appears causing a bridge between Heaven and earth.


Virgin with Angels, Regina Angelorum painted by William Bougereau in 1900, depicts the beautiful white-robed, white-winged angels that most of us expect. Bougereau’s angels have sweet faces and generally look like pretty young girls.

    The Angels Message
"Angel's Message" by
George Hillyard Swinstead 1860-1926

Angels Coronation, Botticelli

---------------------------------------------------------

   

dianahopeless wrote on Dec 31, '08
A subject near and dear to my heart. This post has a little something for everyone. lol
I have a small angel that use to be used on my Christmas tree tops. My daughter now uses it as an ornament on her big formal tree. My granddaughter has her eye on it too. lol
I love all the artwork (paintings) you have included here. You are so right, the poem was very unexpected!
djdx wrote on Dec 30, '08
I believe at one time, people argued about the gender of angels.

I wonder how many if any of these images are from experience or if they are all conjecture.
starfishred wrote on Dec 30, '08
very nice post loretta and your tree angel looks like my older daughter Holly
aimlessjoys wrote on Dec 30, '08
Beautiful & fascinating. Angels are at the top of my shopping list for after-Christmas sales. However, they seem to be at the top of everybody else's list, too, as they seem to be few & far between. I admired Tilda Swinton as an angel in a movie I saw, can't remember the title, but she was very striking, having that angelic blended gender appearance, I thought, just glowing & beauteous. Enjoyed your PPPP! Have Fun!
brendainmad wrote on Dec 30, '08
Thanks for posting the artists' names for that last video. Some of them I recognised, but others I didn't. I love your tree angel too. We always had a star on top of our Christmas tree so that's what I have. I think everyone loves your P.P.P.P.'s!
greenwytch wrote on Dec 30, '08
very nice, ma'am. ; D
hedgewitch9 wrote on Dec 30, '08
Wow

You never cease to amaze me!

Thank you for this lovely post Loretta... and I LOVE your tree angel :)))

Many Blessings of Light to y

No comments:

Post a Comment