Friday 24 August 2012

Poetry, To a mouse, Burns

Mar 14, '09 8:34 PM
for everyone












"To a Mouse".
On turning her up in her nest with the plough,
November 1785.........
By Rabbie Burns
Sign in and take the tour


http://lauritasita.multiply.com/journal/item/1226/Poetry_Wednesday_031809_Sign_in_and_take_the_tour

Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie
O, what a panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty
Wi' bickering brattle!
I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee
Wi' murd'ring pattle!
I'm truly sorry man's dominion
Has broken Nature's social union,
An' justifies that ill opinion
Which makes thee startle
At me, thy poor, earth-born companion
An' fellow mortal!
I doubt na, whyles, but thou may thieve;
What then? poor beastie, thou maun live!
A daimen icker in a thrave
'S a sma' request;
I'll get a blessin wi' the lave,
An' never miss't.
Thy wee bit housie, too, in ruin!
Its silly wa's the win's are strewin!
An' naething, now, to big a new ane,
O' foggage green!
An' bleak December's win's ensuin,
Baith snell an' keen!

Thou saw the fields laid bare an' waste,
An' weary winter comin fast,
An' cozie here, beneath the blast,
Thou thought to dwell,
Till crash! the cruel coulter past
Out thro' thy cell.
That wee bit heap o' leaves an' stibble,
Has cost thee monie a weary nibble!
Now thou's turn'd out, for a' thy trouble,
But house or hald,
To thole the winter's sleety dribble,
An' cranreuch cauld!
But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain;
The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

Still thou are blest, compar'd wi' me!
The present only toucheth thee:
But och! I backward cast my e'e,
On prospects drear!
An' forward, tho' I canna see,
I guess an' fear!


Paintings by Stephanie MacLean,
Scottish landscape painter
currently living and working in California.


http://www.black-isle.co.uk/smaclean/index.html

http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/stephanie-maclean.html

Stephanie says of herself and her art; ‘’My art is heavily influenced by the simplicity and symmetry which I see in the landscape’’.

‘’Each painting is based on my extensive travels through the countryside that I portray. I paint in my studio using both photography and my knowledge of the specific locations to equally influence the art. As I paint I like to visualize the entire landscape including the contours and valleys not visible in the final painting. My current focus is on contemporary landscape and seascapes. I love to portray the dramatic Northern California scenery where I currectly live, in addition to my native North of Scotland which has a very different kind of beauty’’.

This is a very clever animated film of Burns himself reciting the poem. This video is covered by copyright to Jim Clark who very kindly gave his permission for me to use it.

   

skeezicks1957 wrote on Mar 21, '09
It is all wonderful but the last two stanzas are just awesome. Great post!

sugarpiehuny wrote on Mar 20, '09
I love this post.. It is just so much better with the video.. love the accent.. The art is great too.. Thank you!

dianahopeless wrote on Mar 18, '09
Outstanding post Loretta! The poem brought a smile to my face, the art was food for the soul. TY
http://dianahopeless.multiply.com/journal/item/551/Poetry_Wednesday_Adieu

djdx wrote on Mar 17, '09
Very nice entry. Personally I would prefer the mice live elsewhere than in my garden and above all, not in my house!

veryfrank wrote on Mar 17, '09
Excellent post. Thank you.

I remember that the title for "Of Mice and Men" a novella written by Nobel Prize-winning author John Steinbeck, is taken from this Robert Burns's poem. The line "The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley." is most often quoted as " "The best-laid plans of mice and men/often go awry,"

brendainmad wrote on Mar 17, '09
One of his most famous. How true the line about mice and men is! Enjoyed hearing Burns recite it "himself". Those nice paintings go really well with this poem.

starfishred wrote on Mar 17, '09
Burns was always on of my favs
great art loretta

lauritasita wrote on Mar 16, '09
I always enjoy your posts ! Thank you so much for all your hard work. Love, Laurita. I especially love the artwork !

sanssouciblogs wrote on Mar 16, '09
Splendid post! Wonderful art and darling poem! What a great accent! Love the animation, too.
So enjoyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment